[GTALUG] simple plug & play ethernet splitters?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Aug 8 07:41:13 EDT 2024

> From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

> Well canada computers has a 5 port gigabit ethernet switch for $30.

A five-port ethernet switch gives you 3 more ethernet ports than you
started with: one of the five is taken by "upstream" and another one
is takeen by the device that used to use it.

I find that it is usually worth buying an eight-port switch:

- it gives you 6 more ports than you started with

- it usually costs only a little more space, money, power than a
  five-port switch

Make sure you get a gigabit switch: "fast" means 100 Mb/s, which is slower
for very little savings.

Some people prefer metal cases over plastic.  I think plastic is fine.

Finding things on Amazon or Canada Computers is annoyingly difficult.
Here's a plastic TP-Link 8-port gigabit switch that is currently on sale
on Amazon.ca for $22.99.

<https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG1008D-1000Mbps-Switching-Capacity/dp/B001EVGIYG/ref=sr_1_3_sspa>

I have not carefully shopped to come up with this.