[GTALUG] ot: sort of, is it really impossible to get real cable anymore?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Nov 30 12:39:35 EST 2023

Let me simplify.
First, I am not 100% certain that all analog or standard definition
channels are gone, unless that has happened since 2022.
I say this because although bell does not in any way shape or form provide
accessible set top boxes at all, In fact David Lepofky has a federal human
rights case about this, they did provide  several standard definition
channels via satellite television, with things like audio description
provided automatically.
Those channels remain listed on their satellite programming guides.
Second, my computer runs DOS, is no where near my television, and is not a
part of this discussion, nor is a monitor.

further complicating things is the fact that, because this entire property
is fibe for home blanketed bringing another internet account of any kind
in here is a problem. I do not have a modem in my apartment.  Since
Internet is provided, I use a dlinks adapter connected to my landlord's
bell setup on his floor with an Ethernet cable in it.
Works wonderfully, at least for what I require.
Hydro in general can be creative, it is quite easy to over load circuits.
Its part of why I got two independent ones, in my office / production
studio, and in my living room.
even then the other day plugging the television, stereo, cd player, VCR,
and DVD player into the same power bar had my turntable which powers from
the receiver vibrating as in the way something experiencing too much
electric power vibrates.
I honestly need another good quality power bar, one with a high
<misspelling warning> joules, level to manage the surges and switches. in
power levels, especially in my living room.
there are too many things at differing power levels sharing circuits in
this house.
That too makes adding a modem to power my television experience something
I would like to avoid.  cannot get a Fibe TV box to even test  the
concept at the moment.
however even if I had one, that box would not be accessible, bell does not
insure that.  further although you will here "the following program is
presented with described video...it is not provided via the boxes
themselves.
I did consider finding a third generation apple TV, last one with optical
ports.  In general though between the apple TV or an android equal or a
smart television..is a website that has not been designed inclusively.
>From a progressive enhancement perspective, or a web content access
guidelines one.
YOu must reach other things on the net for smart items to work, which can
be just as bad as on board menus.
My rogers reference is to an existing rogers cable box I still have, from
2018 or so, when I was last a customer.
inclusive set boxes has been a legal requirement by the CRTC since...2009.
However, speaking personally, like a great deal of things considered a
human right the enforcement process is long, complex, and overburdened.
it also has very little positive public relations.
Not tooting  my horn here, but the latter is something I professionally
wish to change.
visit the common ground media page here.
www.curtainupdistribution.org
Most of the time, well meaning people think Bell must automatically
be providing accessibility, or Rogers must, or Google must.
Worse yet are those who define what that means, using their individual
experiences, projecting that dictionary on to those outside the
experience.
That, speaking personally is much much worse.
The assumption that everyone sharing a label shares an experience and are
interchangeable for each other?
  personally I feel a build into understanding and technology many choices
by demonstrating how those  choices help several populations creates ore
accessibility and inclusion..ramps are for more than just wheel chairs, so
are elevators..but I digress.
What creating the otar solution gives me right now is frankly  quite the
gift.  after all, just because it talks, does not mean it is safe for my
use.
I have allot of holiday traditions built around local and u. s. broadcast
channels, that I might get Buffalo's classical radio station again?  that
is just icing on the frosting.
As for age of equipment?
my stereo receiver, a Sony hst 201 is a solid piece of equipment to which I
have added things, new speakers, new cd players and the like over and over
again since 1990.  It is built like a rock.
I am seeking a turntable, that ps-lx 29 unit  is starting to  fail,  but
again since loads of turntables exists, still with RCA connectors, I
am hoping  a value village visit will give me something that does not power
from the receiver itself..while letting me play  some of my  well over 200
albums, plus get that new Beatles release in vinyl.
I am 100% a sound snob,  laughs.
Honestly I can hear the difference between a digital  sound setup and an
analog one..digressing again.
In theory, I might build a test antenna, unsure how to link the  say coat
hanger aspect to the cable that connects to my television, but could try.

My idea though is simplicity.

Might have missed a point or two,
Kare