[GTALUG] ot: sort of, is it really impossible to get real cable anymore?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Nov 30 11:18:56 EST 2023

I have some concerns, but am somewhat uninformed.

I've run out of time to edit this.  I apologize that it so is long and
disorganized.

General concern: the complex chain of devices has many points of
failure.  Getting it to work might be difficult.  Keeping it working might
be difficult.

General concern: many components these days expect navigation of on-screen
menus.

General concern: some HDMI signals (eg. from Rogers or Bell) are
"protected" by HDCP.  The general idea is that you are presumed to be a
pirate and only approved devices are trusted by Rogers or Bell (or Blu-Ray
players, ...).  Interesting point: if HDCP authentication fails, I think
that a low resolution signal is still allowed -- maybe good enough for
Karen.

What are all the video sources that you want to connect to your TV?

- we've been talking about OTA (Over The Air) TV signals

- we've mentioned Rogers Cable TV signals.  Or, perhaps Bell TV signals.
  Those are a problem now since both companies want to give you an HDMI
  signal, protected by HDCP.  Both want the "smarts" in a Set Top Box that
  they provide you.  The STB must be manipulated through a complicated
  on-screen menu system and a remote control.  Gone are the days when a
  raw cable signal can be "tuned" by a third party device (eg. TV set).

- an additional "modern" way of using Rogers or Bell has been extended to
  using an App on an Android or iOS box (or Rakuten or Fire OS).  These
  seem to require on-device visual menus but they MAY have accessibility
  features.

  In this case, the signal is "streamed" to the box through the internet
  (IP).

  Those boxes may have their own display (think smart phone, tablet, or
  smart TV) or output to a TV (eg. Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, ...) via HDMI.

- Is your computer expected to be an input?  I assume that it produces
  VGA.  That can be converted to HDMI with a simple dongle, if that turns
  out to be useful.

- Are your various assistive devices expected to be inputs?  What are
  their output signals?

About converter boxes being discussed:

- The Mediasonic HOMEWORX HW130STB seems to have on-screen menus I take it
  that this will be very difficult for Karen There is a chance that only
  setup requires on-sheen menus

- An ATSC => NTSC converter will only work for over-the-air signals.

- Alternately, it may be possible to use an HDMI => NTSC Channel 3
  converter (yuck) or HDMI => composite converter.

  This does NOT include a tuner.  You'd then need to get a tuner with the
  right output (HDMI)

  If you have multiple HDMI sources you would need an HDMI switch feeding
  into the HDMI => NTSC converter

- a DVD or Blu-Ray player?

All these problems go away if you can find a new monitor or TV set that
could work for you.  Of course there is a new set of problems:

- a new TV might cause you sensory problems (that might not be the right
  term but I think you know what I mean)

- new TVs are mostly "smart" in a way that is going to be a problem
  (complex on-screen menus and many states).
  There are a few "dumb" TVs still available but even they might not be
  dumb enough.

- Your best bet might to be to get a computer monitor: they usually have
  fewer settings.  You might want one with speakers or audio-out of some
  kind.  Most modern monitors have HDMI-in; some only have DisplayPort,
  but that's almost trivial to convert at FullHD resolution (1920x1080 or
  perhaps 1920x1200) or less.