[GTALUG] ot: sort of, is it really impossible to get real cable anymore?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Nov 29 17:48:11 EST 2023

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 5:01 PM Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net>
wrote:

> Okay Evan,
> Let me walk through this completely.
> 1, because my television does not  include either digital, or HDMI built in
> will I also need an HDMI to RCA adapter to connect say this last antenna?

The antenna has a coaxial cable that will screw into the TV you have.
However, as has been mentioned, that TV's tuner is unable to use the
digital signals being broadcast and nobody is broadcasting in analog
anymore.
So you would need either the ATSC digital converter box Scott mentioned or
a modern TV.

The coaxial cable would go from the antenna to the ATSC digital converter,
which can connect to your TV (or any monitor) via HDMI. The tuner used is
in the adapter, bypassing the one in the TV. Indeed, the ATSC converter
comes with its own remote control that would replace the one for your TV.

2. it might? result in my getting High definition TV channels as well as
> the over the air variety?

Assuming you will have reception from your window-mounted antenna, yes the
result will be HD. In fact there is no middle ground, the stations will
either be HD or unavailable.

3. if I do not also need the  HDMI adapter, is it because the antenna
option has
> its own ability to connect?

The antenna's own coaxial cable goes into the ATSC converter and the
converter connects to the TV by either a direct HDMI cable or by coaxial
cable.
No further adapters are necessary.

Yes, ordering is certainly easy, so long as what is in the box is all I
> need.

Yes. I recommend Amazon versus Best Buy in this specific case because the
latter uses a third-party reseller that has a low rating. And this way you
can order both items at once.

So the two items would be:
The same ATSC converter Scott mentioned:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mediasonic-HOMEWORX-HW130STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B01EW098XS/ref=sr_1_4
And the antenna:
https://www.amazon.ca/Channel-Master-FLATenna-Ultra-Thin-Antenna/dp/B074TWSQFM/ref=sr_1_5

The converter is available for next day delivery, the antenna next week. If
you need everything quickly there is an alternative antenna that seems
almost as good but is available for delivery this week:
https://www.amazon.ca/One-All-Amplified-Reception-14503/dp/B07FLCXW1G/ref=sr_1_16

Shopping in person carries challenges.

That's why I was surprised at the Sayal option being considered. I like
that store, but it may not be the easiest path to what you want.

- Evan