[GTALUG] ot: sort of, is it really impossible to get real cable anymore?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Nov 29 16:32:57 EST 2023

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 4:06 PM Scott Allen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> As for an antenna, many stores that sell TVs will also sell antennas. Walmart
> has them. Best Buy has them.

This is not my experience. Off-the-air tabletop antennas are a niche
product.

The only one that Best Buy has in stock (and not everywhere) is an
old-old-style "rabbit ears and loop" design that will likely not work well,
which is why I did not suggest it:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/13337602

They have others listed online but they are special-order. Same with
Walmart, many listings but nothing in stock.

Update: I have been looking around a little more and have found one that
actually comes from a reputable brand, also has good reviews, and is
reasonable cost:
The "Flatenna" by Channel Master, the company that made the large antenna I
have on my rooftop. It's $48 at Amazon and in stock:
https://www.amazon.ca/Channel-Master-FLATenna-Ultra-Thin-Antenna/dp/B074TWSQFM/ref=sr_1_3

One of the reviews (CNET) that liked the Flatenna was not a fan of the
cylinder design:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/best-tv-antenna/

Also, Sayal Electronics has a number of them available for various prices.

That all depends if you really want to endure the Sayal shopping experience
for this, only slightly less hassle than complete build-it-yourself. :-)

- Evan