[GTALUG] ot: sort of, is it really impossible to get real cable anymore?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 29 08:25:04 EST 2023

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 12:22:22AM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Hi,
> If I could get the digital box, without having to use a modem, I would
> likely  be fine, because the digital box would tap into the existing blanket
> internet  wireless wise would it not?
> In fact that was my landlord's idea adding an extra receiver to his account,
> for which I would pay the rental, as it is just on another floor.
> I am curious how the antenna idea works, I am above ground for the area
> where   my television sits, so perhaps?  what do I need?
> Oh  boy does my television have optical outs..in spades
> The DVD player  has an HDMI port, I imagined connecting the cable box to
> this, and since the set is connected to the  player it would be enough.
> I still have my old Roger's  digital cable box, the one they provided for
> older televisions as well.
> wish I had fewer trees, not only is satellite less complex, from bell there
> are   channels automatically provided with audio description for the blind
> enabled..they do not provide this for Fibe.

The DVD player's HDMI is an output, no an input, so it is no help there.

For antenna, if your TV has an ATSC tuner (not the old NTSC tuner,
there are no channels left for that anymore), then you might be able to
connect an antenna to the TV and receive some local broadcast channels
(So CBC, CityTV, CTV, etc).  I suspect most TVs with an ATSC tuner also
have HDMI inputs, so if your TV does not have HDMI, it probably also
does not have ATSC.

--
Len Sorensen