[GTALUG] GNOME's "Attach Modal Dialogs"?

mwilson at Vex.Net mwilson at Vex.Net
Sun Nov 26 11:58:35 EST 2023

> By default, when a GNOME application pops up a dialog, it gets glued to
> (one of?) the application's window: the dialog sits in front of the
> Window, glued in place.  If you move the dialog, the window moves with it.

Yes, this is annoying.  GIMP has a way of putting a pop-up right over the
part of the image I'm intending to edit.  But most of their pop-ups can be
moved, and if one can't, I can usually scroll the image out from under the
pop-up, so it's tolerable.

> I'm not sure why this is considered useful behaviour.  Perhaps because if
> you misplace the dialog, you might not know that the application is
> waiting for a response (I've had that happen in Windows).  But it means
> that the dialog might hide something you need to see on the main window to
> fill in the dialog.

The opposite is annoying too.  Frequently I'm caught with a window that
refuses to respond to keys and mouse action.  Turns out some combination
of clicks has hidden a modal dialog behind the window, so until I've
stripped away all the windows one-by-one and discovered the modal dialog,
I'm stalled.
My own programs mostly use wxPython, which seems to give the modal dialogs
this little bit of independence, so that's what I'm used to, and what I
prefer.