[GTALUG] GNOME's "Attach Modal Dialogs"?

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Sun Nov 26 11:45:12 EST 2023

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 01:33:41 -0500 (EST)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> By default, when a GNOME application pops up a dialog, it gets glued to
> (one of?) the application's window: the dialog sits in front of the
> Window, glued in place.  If you move the dialog, the window moves with it.
>
> I'm not sure why this is considered useful behaviour.  Perhaps because if
> you misplace the dialog, you might not know that the application is
> waiting for a response (I've had that happen in Windows).  But it means
> that the dialog might hide something you need to see on the main window to
> fill in the dialog.
>
> At least on Fedora, you can change this behaviour using "GNOME Tweeks".
> Under Windows, set Attach Modal Dialogs to "off".

Hugh,

   I am still running FVWM2.  I have it set to make the active window
follow my mouse, and for it to not move to the top of the screen.  This
is very use for copying and pasting.  As far as I know, FVWM is the
only window manager that does the latter.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson