[GTALUG] Toronto Public Library website

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Nov 8 14:35:45 EST 2023

An employer is constantly phishing staff, in hopes of sensitizing people
so that real attacks won't get through. Alas, all they do is make us
paranoid.

Humans are particularly bad at /reliably/ detecting attacks, so
occasional attacks get through, after which we get even more paranoid,
and wonder if our jobs are on the line...

Every single phishing attack I've seem, real or self-inflicted,
laughable or brilliant, got detected by spamcop.net.  Does the company
use a spam filer? Sure, but it's the Microsoft one, which is useless.
Any time I see something I don't recognize at work, I paste it into spamcop.

So:

 1. /Do/ use technological means to deal with ransomware attacks
 2. Make sure it's a /credible/ means

By this I mean a backup service like one Lexis Nexis had: they connected
via a VPN, they were only connected when backing up, the connection was
a disk mount, and they offered /financial guarantees. /

That last reassured my VP: she said "they don't want to be sued out of
business, and know  a legal publisher like us will be litigious if they
mess up". The only thing I didn't like was how slow it was do do a
restore (;-))

--dave