[GTALUG] Data archaeology: archive KDE distortion from 2004ish

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:30:09 EDT 2022

On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 23:35, Jamon Camisso via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2022-09-14 6:39 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> > | From: Stewart Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> >
> > | Any suggestions for which ancient distro and where it might still live gratefully received.
> >
> > Knoppix?  Perhaps 3.5, which had a DVD version?  There must be copies
> > around.  See this for a list of versions:
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix>
> > Not sure where to find it now.  Perhaps
> > <https://archive.org/search.php?query=knoppix&&and[]=collection%3A%22cdromimages%22>
> >
> > This would surely require BIOS/MBR for booting.  And new fangled devices
> > won't be understood.
> >
> > There are many other possible distros.
>
> Kubuntu 6.06 might ship with DigiKam pre-installed?
>
> https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/kubuntu/6.06/
>
> Otherwise, it should be available in the packages archive.
>
> I'd boot that ISO in a virtual machine, mount the database files into it
> as a shared folder, and then try starting the program.
>
> Good luck!

Hi Stewart.

Just back from vacation, explaining this delayed response (although
it's not really a helpful one).  This seems like a solvable problem,
and the suggested approaches from Hugh and Jamon are exactly where I
would have gone.  Note that I said "seems like ..."  I'd love to hear
how this turned out, if you're willing to share.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com