[GTALUG] Linux word processing like it's 1997!

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 12:00:16 EDT 2022

On 2022-09-25 22:59, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:

> I used to use WordPerfect. Before WordPerfect there was WordStar. I did
> a search and found out there is a project called WordTsar which is
> supposed to be WordStar for the 21st century.

WordStar hung on for years. An author friend of mine was distraught when
Microsoft Word removed the ability to use WordStar keys. It was
surprisingly recently, too.

WordTsar looks surprisingly comprehensive. I'm a little surprised it's a
graphical application, but the developer has their reasons.

I've run MS Word 5.5 (the DOS version that MS released for free for Y2K
compliance reasons) and Protext under dosemu quite successfully. The
first version of Protext I had was on a 16K EPROM for the Amstrad CPC
(Z80) computer. It loaded instantly, and was a great tool for
undistracted writing.

cheers,
  Stewart