[GTALUG] Linux on Chromebook

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 19:53:11 EDT 2022

Someone at the Raspberry Pi meetup last night mentioned the Evolve III
Maestro 11.6" educational laptop, if anyone's looking for a *really*
cheap laptop. I don't know of anyone selling it in Canada at a
reasonable price, but Micro Center - a brick & mortar electronics store
in the USA - is selling them for US $60 (~ $78). Unfortunately, the
nearest store with stock is likely a day and half's drive away, plus
border crossing and all that faff. User reviews on Reddit are not super
positive.

The machine is incredibly barebones, but the fact it even works at all
is quite impressive at this price:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/649971/evolve-iii-maestro-116-laptop-computer-dark-grey

This was in response to me introducing the frankly overpriced pi-top [4]
Raspberry Pi 4-based "tablet": https://www.pi-top.com/products/pi-top-4
It might have a glorious touchscreen, but a tablet it ain't.

  Stewart