[GTALUG] wired headset suggestions?

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:10:10 EDT 2022

On 10/10/22 16:44, Scott Allen via talk wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 16:16, Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000UXZQ42/ - Logitech H390
>
> I have the same and like them. The microphone quality for speech is
> the best of numerous headsets I have, even quite expensive ones. One
> problem I've found, after using them for a few years, is that the thin
> "imitation leather" plastic covering the foam on the headband has
> started to deteriorate and flake off.
>
>> - the volume control on the chord works well on Mac - not sure if it
>> works on Linux although I think it does
>
> Yes, the volume control works with Linux (Ubuntu, at least) although
> that's true for all USB and Bluetooth headsets I've tried. The mute
> button also works but that is a local function, it doesn't send a
> "mute" command over USB, so there's no indication on the computer that
> mute has been activated.

Karen,
I'm not much help in this part of the market. However, unless mentioned most headphones
these days are below 32 ohms if not mentioned on packaging. The reason being that most
amps in laptops or smartphones can at most get reliably 60-70ohms and that's what most
people are using. I've heard good things about Scott's headphone recommendation through.

Honestly, I'm really care about specification at some as those aren't that useful. What
I want depending on the requirements is the internal test frequency chart. That gives me
a rather good idea of what were looking at. That's just my view through.

Good luck with your search,

Nick