[GTALUG] odd error when running the screen program?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Oct 2 13:00:09 EDT 2022

| From: Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Both shellworld, and dreamhost, use Ubuntu as the basis for their shell
| workspaces.
| Sharing that up front, as this may be tied to Ubuntu.

Thanks -- good to explain the context.

| There is a program called screen, apparently common across some Linux
| distributions.

On Fedora 36, I had to install it manually, but it was in the distro's
repository:

	sudo dnf install screen

Clearly I haven't used it much since I hadn't even installed it.

(Many people have migrated to tmux.  I haven't bothered because I don't
use screen often -- why learn something new?  So many flags, so many
magic keystrokes.)

| one can create the equal of a screen shot,
| screen www.website.com

The screen command does not take a URL as an argument.
What do you want it to do with the URL?

The synopsis says:

	screen [ -options ] [ cmd [ args ] ]

Maybe you wanted: