[GTALUG] keeping my systems updated: Windows vs Linux

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 16:08:26 EST 2022

On 3/8/22 09:58, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> I want to keep my systems up to date.  Not everyone does.
>
> As I understand it, Windows Update does not update the Linux portion.
> Yet another step to keep a Windows system safe as possible.  My drill:
>
> - Run Windows update.  If it actually applied an update, you should
>    run it again in case the update enables a subsequent update (you
>    cannot tell by its cheerful declaration that your system is up to
>    date).  Rinse and repeat.
>    BTW, Windows Update seems unreasonably slow.  And prone to
>    inscrutable failures.
>
> - go to the Microsoft App Store and get updates.  Be careful, it too
>    can prematurely say that your apps are up to date.
>
> - ask the machine vendor's software if it has driver or firmware
>    updates (Dell, Lenovo, HP, ...).  Sometimes I have to manually
>    download and install firmware updates.
>
> - for WSL: "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade"
>
> - for each piece of third party software, ask it if it has updates.
>    This includes FireFox.
>
> My Linux drill:
>
> - [Fedora] "sudo dnf update"
>    [debian family] "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade"
>
> - once in a while: "sudo fwupdmgr get-updates".
>    If the vendor doesn't support the Linux Firmware project, another
>    process is required (maybe involving Windows).
>
> Linux sure wins here!
I did this a while ago, but I noticed that exes were about twice as slow
as yum at the time. It was even worse for apt, about 3 times. Windows
packaging in exes is not that fast is the problem. If we're talking speed,
packaging in Arch wins. Even in a VM with 2GB
of RAM and 2 cores. It was able to do the install portion of 500MB
of software in 32-33 seconds. I believe that's 30 plus packages from
memory.

Nick