[GTALUG] keeping my systems updated: Windows vs Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 8 09:58:23 EST 2022

I want to keep my systems up to date.  Not everyone does.

As I understand it, Windows Update does not update the Linux portion.
Yet another step to keep a Windows system safe as possible.  My drill:

- Run Windows update.  If it actually applied an update, you should
  run it again in case the update enables a subsequent update (you
  cannot tell by its cheerful declaration that your system is up to
  date).  Rinse and repeat.
  BTW, Windows Update seems unreasonably slow.  And prone to
  inscrutable failures.

- go to the Microsoft App Store and get updates.  Be careful, it too
  can prematurely say that your apps are up to date.

- ask the machine vendor's software if it has driver or firmware
  updates (Dell, Lenovo, HP, ...).  Sometimes I have to manually
  download and install firmware updates.

- for WSL: "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade"

- for each piece of third party software, ask it if it has updates.
  This includes FireFox.

My Linux drill:

- [Fedora] "sudo dnf update"
  [debian family] "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade"

- once in a while: "sudo fwupdmgr get-updates".
  If the vendor doesn't support the Linux Firmware project, another
  process is required (maybe involving Windows).

Linux sure wins here!