[GTALUG] Sane Email System?

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Sun Mar 6 12:48:50 EST 2022

On Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 10:24:11AM -0500, Znoteer via talk wrote:

> FYI re getmail
>
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 09:41:15AM -0500, David Thornton via talk wrote:
> > Google tells me that getmail  and mutt can talk oauth2.
> >
> Beware, there are two getmail programmes.  The original is by Charles
> Cazabon at pyropus.ca and doesn't (yet??) work with python3.
>
> Someone took this code and ran it through a python 2 to 3 converter and
> distributed it with the same name.  I found out the hard way that Debian
> uses this new version in Bullseye to avoid having to maintain both python 2
> and 3, but keeps the getmail name.  Charles doesn't support it, obviously,
> but it has caused some headaches because it appears to have picked up some
> bugs after passing through the 2->3 converter.

Thanks.  The revamped version is packaged as "getmail6" on Arch Linux, and
that's the one installed on my system.  I have seen some notes about using
an external oauth2 program with Charles's version, but, as someone noted,
it looks pretty clunky.  I'm currently trying to find out whether it is
possible to do the same under getmail6.

And, to be fair, depending on python 2 these days is a bit out of date.

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		   (416)-946-3170 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42