[GTALUG] X10 - Gear you don't want? Or replacement suggestions?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 12:50:50 EST 2022

X10 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard) ) isn't
directly related to Linux, but this seems like the right group to ask
about it ...  I've been happily using X10 transmitters and receivers
to automate switching lights on and off around my place for about two
decades.  These days that requires a USB-to-serial converter cable,
but otherwise works just fine.  X10 has significant limitations
(unencrypted, local interference, very slow, one-way) but works well
for the simple things I want it for.  Which leads me to my two related
but rather different questions.

First Question: Does anyone have any X10 gear they'd like to get rid
of?  I'll happily take it off your hands.  If you'd prefer to sell it
rather than giving it away, we can talk.  I'm particularly looking for
a "Transceiver Module."  I can still buy these from x10.com - but
they're an American company without a Canadian customs broker.
They'll happily ship me stuff ... but whether or not it arrives, how
much I have to pay in duties, and whether or not I have to travel to
Niagara Falls to pick it up ... all my problem.

Second Question: What's a more modern replacement for X10?  Keeping in
mind that I have several limiting caveats.  The first of which is, no
"calling home."  All interactions should happen within the confines of
my computers and my residence.  I would also fairly strongly prefer
not to rely on a local wireless network: I have wireless, but it's
deliberately off most of the time and I prefer it that way (for
misguided security reasons, not misguided health reasons ... I like
wires).  I also don't want to have to do my own soldering (I'm capable
of it, barely, but would prefer plug-and-go).

Thanks.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/