[GTALUG] More pointless battles [was: I'm discarding an old notebook!]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Feb 16 13:40:04 EST 2022

| From: Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Google OS flex system requirements:
| https://www.pcworld.com/article/614720/google-chrome-os-flex-turns-old-pcs-into-chromebooks-for-free.html
|
| "You’ll need a USB key with 8GB or more. PCs will need at least 4GB of RAM
| and 16GB of storage. The CPU restrictions are more lenient: You’ll need a
| 64-bit CPU, period. Which is basically any processor made after the year
| 2000. There are GPU restrictions, though: Intel GMA 500, 600, 3600, and
| 3650 graphics hardware do not meet Chrome OS Flex performance standards"

The NVidia Go 6100 is unlikely to be supported by Google ChromeOS Flex
since it is unsupported by NVidia and by Linux's Nouveau.  On the
other hand, I suspect that it could meet the performance standard.

I'm pretty sure that the notebook could run DOS.  Or act as a headless
Linux server.  Neither of these appeals to me.