[GTALUG] More pointless battles [was: I'm discarding an old notebook!]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Feb 15 17:24:42 EST 2022

I've been shamed / intrigued into doing a bit more hacking on this
Acer Aspire 9300 notebook.

Spoiler: this was a waste of time.

A little over 5 years ago I had replaced the HDD with an SSD and put a
then-current Fedora (24?) on it (no Windows).  It was unreliable (for
reasons I have previously explained).

Now I've dragged out the old HDD and copied the Vista and Ubuntu 12.04
installation from it to the SSD.  (Byte-for-byte, so the partition
alignments are highly questionable.)

MS Vista boots.  It doesn't know how to update itself (End of Life).

Ubuntu 12.04 boots.  It doesn't know how to update itself either since it
is no longer supported.  I fix that (somewhat) by hacking on
/etc/apt/sources.list, replacing ca.archive.ubuntu.com with
old-releases.ubuntu.com.  The newest update there was probably two years
ago, but that's better than more than 5 years ago.

While doing Ubuntu updates, the machine crashed a couple of times.
Probably because it is using the nouveau video driver.  I wonder if I
can enable the ancient no-longer supported proprietary driver at this late
date?  Even if I can, apparently that path dies after Ubuntu 14.04 so it
isn't really a solution.

Back on Windows Vista, I tried updating Firefox.  A very slow process, but
it seemed to complete (but not to the current version; possibly because
Vista is no longer supported).  I ran Firefox's update again and got a
blue screen (OS crash, not Firefox crash).

At this point, I saw very little upside and had wasted a lot of time
getting this far.  I cannot run current Windows 10 or current Linux. So
I've given up.  I've stripped the SSD, the RAM, the WiFi card, and the DVD
drive.

================

Now I'm wasting time updating the three OSes on my Acer Aspire One 522, a
netbook from 2011 (Fedora, Ubuntu, Win10).
<https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-One-522.46975.0.html>
This is a very meagre machine: slow even in its day.  But it does run
current systems.

When I got it, I upgraded the RAM from 1G to 4G.  Win 7 Starter was
crippled to use at most 2G (silly Microsoft market segregation games).
The screen had too little resolution to install Win 8, but full Win 10
Home is happy (a free upgrade; it will use all 4G).

The netbook still has its original HDD.  Win 10 and Gnome both crawl
unless they live on SSDs.  I intend to replace the HDD with the SSD from
the scrapped notebook.

Just a few years separate the Acer Aspire 9300 and the Acer Aspire One
522.  Yet the newer one is more usable now.  Still, the newer one is
missing some modern conveniences: UEFI firmware and USB 3.x.

There is a significant difference between a 17" notebook and a 10.6"
netbook.