[GTALUG] I'm discarding an old notebook!

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Feb 13 14:36:47 EST 2022

| From: Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| That's sad. You could try running an external monitor.

An external monitor doesn't (normally) bypass the video card so it
doesn't bypass my driver problem.

| I'd give up on Linux
| and run Win.

That doesn't work either.  I mentioned earlier that installing Win 10
fails for unknown reasons.  It gets stuck in this loop:

- something went wrong, but don't worry, just give me an internet
  connection and I'll do updates.  That should fix it.

- time passes

The biggest problem is that NVidia stopped supporting the video controller
on Windows some time ago (before Win 10).  Just like on Linux.

The hardest problems, on Windows and Linux, are from NVidia.
- not releasing new video drivers
- not releasing sufficient specs to enable the open source driver to work
- (probably) a bug in the video hardware when system has more than 2G
  of RAM

| I still have a 2002 Dell netbook running WinXP specifically for Chinese
| social media QQ. No email or secure stuff. The only browser that I can find
| that still runs is Opera, which is also Chinese owned. The system is
| completely isolated, and I expect it to get hacked.

Wow.  The first thing I called a netbook was the Asus Eee PC from late
2007.  The same era as my Acer Aspire 9300 that we're talking about.