[GTALUG] I'm discarding an old notebook!

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Feb 12 11:37:35 EST 2022

| From: Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| 15 year old notebook. Will no version of Linux work? That's sad. I have
| desktops much older than that that can run puppy Linux.

I can run it with the kernel option "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau".
Then the screen resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1440x900.  And that
option slows down the already slow machine.

The nouveau driver almost works.  But when it fails, it corrupts the
screen and eventually seems to lock up the machine.

As I said, I blame NVidia.  They lost interest in providing the
proprietary driver and they didn't provide specifications sufficient
for the nouveau driver to reliably function.