[GTALUG] Linux on Chromebook

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 20:35:30 EDT 2022

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 6:41 PM Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> I am hoping to tap the wisdom of the list.  I'm going traveling and I
> don't want to lug around my 5.2 pound T420. Not on this trip.
>
> If I buy a cheap refurb Chromebook from Best Buy or Canada Computers:
> - Will I have luck wiping ChromeOS and installing Debian? Can I still
> encrypt the disk?
> - If instead I just run Linux on Chromebook, can I run a wireguard VPN?
> - Can anyone recommend a minimum spec level for the machine?

Just a thought,

Mid June I bought a new bottom end Windows 10 laptop from Costco (
https://www.costco.ca/asus-vivobook-w202na-c1-ca-laptop%2c-n3350.product.100816284.html
). It is what you would expect from a laptop at that price point, nothing
really wrong with it, but nothing really right with it either. You do have
to have a Costco membership to buy it (I do). It was easy to blow away
Windows 10 and replace it with Debian. All the integrated peripherals seem
to be supported just fine under Debian (webcam, audio, microphone, WiFi,
etc.).

Something to consider.

Colin.