[GTALUG] Linux on Chromebook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Aug 29 16:23:28 EDT 2022

| From: Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| If I buy a cheap refurb Chromebook from Best Buy or Canada Computers:

I actually recommend low-spec Windows notebooks.

Lenovo has sold a few recently but their delivery horizon is perhaps
too long or unpredicatable.  I recently bought this (no longer
available; delivery pending):
<https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-lenovo-300e-2nd-gen-windows10-school-laptop-161-28-2558471/>

It is easy to run a Linux subsystem under ChromeOS: it is an option
that ChromeOS explicitly provides.

There are a few limitations on the subsystem, at least on my ChromeOS
tablet:

- I can run graphical programs but, with only a few minutes of trying,
  I haven't been able to run a Desktop Environment on my ChromeOS
  device.

- graphical Linux programs run, but the ChromeOS simulated keyboard
  won't work for them.

- without a Linux DE, I don't know how to start up a Linux simulated
  keyboard.

So on the ChromeOS tablet, the Linux subsystem is useful but not a
replacement for a Linux tablet.  I could use a physical keyboard but
then it is no longer a tablet.

| - Will I have luck wiping ChromeOS and installing Debian? Can I still
| encrypt the disk?

I haven't tried this recently.

I expect that it is easy-ish, but you need an X86-based ChromeBook.
This is not required for the Linux subsystem under ChromeOS.

Read these Installing/Preparing instructions for GalliumOS, which is
meant for this purpose.  Note that they haven't changed in 2.5 years so
they might be stale:
<https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing/Preparing>

| - If instead I just run Linux on Chromebook, can I run a wireguard VPN?

I don't know.

| - Can anyone recommend a minimum spec level for the machine?

Depends on what you want to do.  Bare minimum ChromeOS machines are
also bare minimum Linux machines.  The tightest resource is "disk":
chrome disks are small (as small as 32G) and slow (eMMC), but do work
for Linux.  RAM is usually 4G or more which is fine for Linux.

If you want to run the Linux subsystem under ChromeOS, 32G of eMMC
works but is a bit tight.

Bottom line: this may be more trouble than it is worth.  It is wise to
decide before you start.

Additional tip:
ChromeOS devices have a pre-announced End of Support.  Usually is a
considerable number of years in the future.  But refurb ones might
have a limited remaining life.  Look that up before buying.