[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Apr 30 15:03:54 EDT 2022

Many thanks to all, and especially Nigel who has clearly described what is
now Plan A.

I didn't even know about Clonezilla until Lennart mentioned it yesterday.
Then I studied up and it quickly rose to the method of choice, and your
detailed instructions have made it dead simple. Up to now I had made a
system image and bootable USB recovery USB stick using the MS tools, but a
proper clone seems a much cleaner way to do it.

(Aside: in preparing for this, in making Kubuntu installation media,
Windows recovery and Clonezilla Live, I've discovered that more than three
quarters of my collection of USB sticks are useless -- unformattable,
unrecognizable by the hardware, or now reporting capacity of 2MB.
Miraculously, one of the remaining good ones is decades old with a bootable
DR-DOS on it.)

Fortunately I am not under pressure to shrink the Windows partition(s); the
new drive is large enough that I can leave the existing Windows install
as-is and still have plenty of room for the Linux install (as well as a
shared-data partition).

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56