[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

Nigel Auger subs1 at augermax.com
Sat Apr 30 08:52:00 EDT 2022

I also run multi boot Windows 10 and KUbuntu on my main two systems. Am
currently on KUbuntu 20.04 LTS. Here is my way of doing what you want to
do.

I have used Clonezilla for years. I boot it from a USB stick. I use it to
make regular disk and partition backups as well as migrate and build new
systems.

In my experience shrinking Windows system partitions is very problematic
due to unmovable files that Windows places high up in the partition. Years
ago I found this tool. It was free when I found it. If works (I used it
recently on an old Gateway machine with a hard drive) however I am
conservative so I take extra steps to ensure success. These extra steps are
a lot of work. Many probably wouldn't bother.  I describe these steps
below.

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/shrink-volume-with-unmovable-files-4348.html

NTFS access from linux - I have been accessing NTFS formatted large data
drives from Linux for years. NTFS support in Linux seems to be excellent
from my perspective. The only caveat is you will probably need to ensure
the mount command in the fstab file is configured to give your preferred
user full access to that drive. My systems are single user systems so it's
easy. For multiuser systems you are probably better to seek the advice of
others on this forum who are far more knowledgeable than I am. Here is an
example fstab entry I use:

#UUID=F474B7AA74B76DCC /home/augern/WDp2 ntfs-3g
defaults,nofail,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=000,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0

MY STEPS to ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU WANT TO DO

1) Use Clonezilla to clone your original M.2 SSD onto the new M.2 SSD. Just
use straight full disk image, NOT individual partitions because you want to
ensure all of the boot sector info is cloned. Since you are cloning onto a
larger disk this should just work. There will be empty space at the end of
the new drive. Use the beginner mode in Clonezilla.

2) Swap out the old smaller SSD and swap in the new larger SSD into your
target system.

3) Boot the system into Windows. You might have to reboot once or twice to
allow Windows to do whatever it does when the environment changes.

Preparing and shrinking Windows.

4) Install AOMEI Partition Assistant.

5) If you have the patience, stamina, copy all user data such as documents,
photos, videos, etc. to a backup drive and consider temporarily deleting
them from the Windows system partition. As I wrote above I am conservative
so this is an optional step, probably not necessary but it will reduce the
burden on the partition shrinking tool.

6) Run Windows Disk Clean as administrator. You want to ensure all the crap
from Windows updates and upgrades is deleted. These files can run into many
gigabytes of data. Also ensure you click on the tab in Disk Clean and
select delete all old restore points as these files also can be quite large
and are unnecessary since you have a cloned copy of your system should
something go wrong and you need to start over.

7) From your administrator account in Windows disable hibernate and disable
the page file (virtual memory). Check to make sure the files have been
deleted. They are hidden system files. If they are still there delete them.

8) Use AOMEI Partition Assistant to shrink your Windows system partition.

9) When finished shrinking the Windows partition, re-enable hibernate and
the page file and copy back over any user data files you deleted to speed
the process up.

10) Once you are happy Windows is stable and working, make a Clonezilla
backup image of the entire disk so that when something goes wrong during
Linux installation or some unplanned Windows Update and your system gets
wrecked, you can recover it in 30 odd minutes rather than having to start
over from scratch.

11) You are now ready to install your Linux system(s). Use the normal
partition tools to set up your disk the way you want it.