[GTALUG] Back to basics: upgrading from Windows to Linux

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 08:33:32 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 2:15 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On the other hand, Canonical is the owner of Snap and pushes it hard.
> So on a Ubuntu system you may end up needing to use Snap.

I manage to have working Ubuntu desktops without snapd, but it's a bit of a
fight initially. It may be difficult if you're a Chrome/Chromium user on
Ubuntu, as the main distribution channel for those browsers is via snaps.
I'll allow a few AppImage packages on my system, but snaps and flatpaks
aren't welcome.

 Stewart