[GTALUG] From Slackware to which distro?

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-Brown at indexexchange.com
Wed Apr 27 10:10:15 EDT 2022

I too try to run as close as possible to what my customer runs in
production.  For a long time, that was Fedora, which is effectively an
upstream for Centos. I'm waiting to see what happens in the centos
switch to quasi-continuous.

--dave

On 4/27/22 09:02, Anthony de Boer via talk wrote:
> On 2022-04-27 12:37 a.m., William Park via talk wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been running Slackware since forever.  It's time to grow up and
>> see the world.  Which distro would you recommend that I move to?
>> Yes, I know it's personal, and reasons will be varied and educational.
>>
>> - Ubuntu -- OK.  I use it at work in VM and in WSL (Windows Subsystem
>> for Linux).  For me, Mint is another flavour, just like Kubuntu,
>> Xubuntu, etc.
>

> It can make a lot of sense to run the same at home that you use at
> work, so that you're only tracking one distro's quirks and issues, and
> being that much more effective at work and needing that much less time
> spent debugging issues at home.
>
> I was running Red Hat back when a past job was on that, up until Red
> Hat jumped the shark, then CentOS during a couple of gigs that used
> that, then I decided it was time to dig into Debian just months before
> a job that used that came over the horizon. So now most of my boxes
> run Debian.
>
> Meanwhile I picked up Gentoo back around the time RH was bothering me
> too much to touch on my own time anymore, partly as a technical
> challenge to myself and partly to have the actual source code to
> everything actually downloaded, but that can suck up an awful lot of
> time even as it hones your sysadmin skills!
>
> Anthony

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com |              -- Mark Twain

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER : This telecommunication, including any and all attachments, contains confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and delete the message from your inbox and deleted items folders. This telecommunication does not constitute an express or implied agreement to conduct transactions by electronic means, nor does it constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or an acceptance of a contract offer. Contract terms contained in this telecommunication are subject to legal review and the completion of formal documentation and are not binding until same is confirmed in writing and has been signed by an authorized signatory.