[GTALUG] From Slackware to which distro?

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Wed Apr 27 09:02:34 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-27 12:37 a.m., William Park via talk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been running Slackware since forever.  It's time to grow up and
> see the world.  Which distro would you recommend that I move to?  Yes,
> I know it's personal, and reasons will be varied and educational.
>
> - Ubuntu -- OK.  I use it at work in VM and in WSL (Windows Subsystem
> for Linux).  For me, Mint is another flavour, just like Kubuntu,
> Xubuntu, etc.

It can make a lot of sense to run the same at home that you use at work,
so that you're only tracking one distro's quirks and issues, and being
that much more effective at work and needing that much less time spent
debugging issues at home.

I was running Red Hat back when a past job was on that, up until Red Hat
jumped the shark, then CentOS during a couple of gigs that used that,
then I decided it was time to dig into Debian just months before a job
that used that came over the horizon. So now most of my boxes run Debian.

Meanwhile I picked up Gentoo back around the time RH was bothering me
too much to touch on my own time anymore, partly as a technical
challenge to myself and partly to have the actual source code to
everything actually downloaded, but that can suck up an awful lot of
time even as it hones your sysadmin skills!

Anthony