[GTALUG] U of T alumni mail + Thunderbird

Nigel Auger subs1 at augermax.com
Sat Apr 23 09:19:00 EDT 2022

Educated guess: You probably need a separate app password for Thunderbird.
The app password will be different than the main account password. It may
not be possible to get one (see below).

Both McGill and the University of Waterloo moved their alumni, and probably
student, email services to Microshaft (hotmail, outlook, live or whatever
they are calling it this week) a while ago. I believe U of T did the same
thing as I have a close friend with a U of T alumni email account. I know
with gmail you need to generate an app password to use a mail client. This
works fine as I do it in multiple places. Yahoo mail doesn't even allow it
anymore unless you pay. I am not sure about regular outlook/hotmail/live
accounts and the alumni services might be slightly different. And I know
for sure you need an app password for a mail client if you are using Rogers
email which is hosted / provided by Yahoo as I have successfully done it
recently.

So I suggest researching app passwords as your first line of enquiry. I am
a little surprised you are able to successfully download via IMAP. This
suggests that my educated guess might be off or partially off Microshaft
haven't properly implemented the app password feature.