[GTALUG] [probably offtopic] e-sign solutions

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:45:27 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-20 11:57 a.m., Jason Shaw via talk wrote:

> I've used DocHub ( https://dochub.com/ <https://dochub.com/> ) for
> signing PDFs and it's been fine.

I just tried it, and it seems the free version doesn't electronically
sign the document at all. It's neither encrypted nor signed, so anyone
could modify it.

I wish there were cheaper ways of getting X.509 certificates that linked
back to a root cert in Adobe Reader. A decade back, I was using the P12
certificate issued by the ARRL (yes, I'm a radio nerd) to
cryptographically sign PDFs. That certificate wasn't much better than
self-signing: people could tell the document hadn't been modified, but
they couldn't verify that I was who I said I was. They could if they
installed the ARRL's certificate, but no-one did that.

Heck, with a P12 certificate, my Brother AIO can generate signed and
encrypted PDF scans ...

chers,
 Stewart