[GTALUG] Fedora 34 with EFI boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 20:42:45 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-10 10:39 a.m., Howard Gibson via talk wrote:

>    Let the distribution wars begin!

Let's not. Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?

>From my user point of view, it makes almost no difference what Linux I'm
running on. It might as well be a Linux called Mac OS X if it gets the
job done: it feels the same to me.

What I like:

* reliability

* easy upgrading

* lots of software that's fairly recent that's also easy to install

* security I don't have to think about.

What I don't like:

* tedious gatekeeping over what to include over licences resulting in
unmaintained, ancient packages in the distro

* unnecessary questions during package upgrades. No, I don't know what
/etc/frammitz.conf does, and I'm unlikely to care when it changes

* unreliable, untested technology like Wayland that breaks user stuff
that I need. I'd give a distro a pass if they provide all the sharing
stuff I rely on under X under Wayland and make it work identically. In
other words, I don't want to care about what technology it's using.

* having more than one package management system (snapd, I'm looking at you)

* KDE

cheers,
 Stewart