[GTALUG] Fedora 34 with EFI boot on Raspberry Pi 4

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:11:11 EDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 6:34 AM Stewart Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> At last night's Raspberry Pi meetup, Chris Tyler demonstrated Fedora 34
> (aarch64) on Raspberry Pi 4. It's supposed to be a fully supported
> distribution, although the documentation hasn't quite caught up.
>
> It looked pretty neat, and I might be tempted to try it. I've been a
> Debian user this entire century so far, though, so there might be some
> friction. Audio over HDMI isn't supported yet, which will mean some
> hardware juggling for me.
>
> The EFI boot hasn't made it to other distros on Raspberry Pi yet, so the
> installation has to be from a raw image or Fedora's arm-image-installer
> tool.
>
> Fedora Workstation is here: https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
> and you'll be wanting the aarch64 raw image.

Useful information - - - but - - - - it was Fedora that I moved FROM and it
was DEBIAN that I moved TO some 15 or so years ago.

That the documentation is late or poor or hasn't caught up - - - - its that
'the new normal'?  (Has been for as long as I've been using Linux.)

I'll wait for a while - - - things will shake out further.
Bleeding edge stuff has really lost its appeal.

This is good news though.
(Wonder how the hdmi code that would be used on that Pi is going to work -
- - - I'm having issues with HDMI and nouveau - - - - anyone 'know'?)

Regards