[GTALUG] Heads up: Ubuntu 21.10 kills your desktop icons

Mauro Souza thoriumbr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:50:34 EDT 2021

I've been a XFCE user since 2005, probably earlier, and every time I try a
new Gnome or KDE desktop, I get back to XFCE. It works, it's light, the
panel works just fine, Alt-Tab works as expected, Alt-` switches between
windows of the same program (like the dozen terminals I keep opening all
the time), you can have several virtual desktops and Ctrl-Alt-arrow to
change between them. It supports icons on the desktop, icons on the menu,
and takes very little memory.

The other desktop environment that I used extensively is Cinnamon. It's
fast, it's pretty, everything works, and maybe someday I will take the time
to build it under RedHat Enterprise, the distro I am forced to use because
it's the company issued Thinkpad that I explicitly requested (otherwise I
would have been issued a MacBook or the Air variant).  But as XFCE is as
good as Cinnamon, I have little incentive to install dozens and dozens of
libraries and wrestle with make to, well, make it.

Mauro
https://www.maurosouza.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.