[GTALUG] Was Re: Heads up: Ubuntu 21.10 kills your desktop icons now - keyboards

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Oct 21 14:10:07 EDT 2021

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 07:09, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Is it maybe not so much that Linux doesn't understand the keyboards but
> that the keyboard manufacturers are making such junk that Linux just
> struggles to understand the signals?

I certainly hope not. Most keyboards have standardized on keys, with the
exception of media keys and recent gamer-focused additions such as wheels.

> To get something that is going to last a bit better - - - is the only
> option the quite pricey items where they use the mechanical switches?
> Suggestions - - - -

In my experience, good keyboards can be found but they're off the beaten
path.  The emergence of high-end gaming on PCs has led to a quest for
keyboards that are super-responsive and comfortable for long periods. In
the fanatic search to decrease latency, some KBs have even reverted to the
old PS2 hardware interface instead of USB (for motherboards that support
it). Some will advertise what "colour" of Cherry switches they use, to
accomodate preferences regarding noise versus key travel etc. As a result,
you now have quality keyboards made by companies catering to PC modders --
my daily-use KB is made by Cooler Master, a company usually known for its
PC cases and CPU fans.

In my experiences most of these run in the $75-$125 range, with the
greatest selection at speciality component stores like Canada Computers or
Newegg. Way more expensive than the crap that gets shipped with PCs, but
far less than what specialty keyboards have sold for. And of all the
peripherals on the PC this is one of the ones that you interact with the
most, so it's worth a liitle more investment IMO.

HTH

- Evan