[GTALUG] Do people have opinions about the Framework modular laptop

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Oct 18 13:03:11 EDT 2021

This looks really promising. But short term unboxings and launch-time
reviews can only go so far.

They've not taken sides on Linux vs Microsoft ... you pay the Windows tax
as everything ships with it. But they seem to do testing for its devices
under Linux, which would be extra important to me because of its many USB-C
modular adapters such as USB-C to HDMI and USB-C to DP.

I couldn't tell from the online info how fast it charges or if you can
attach wired Ethernet without a dongle (maybe that's a future module).

Though the company has good backers, I'll still be wary of long-term
viability until it goes through at least a second generation of hardware. I
almost bought an Essential Phone and thought it would have staying power
too based on the pedigree of the founders. And having modular components is
fine so long as people are making and supporting the modules. I understand
they'll be publishing the specs and encouraging an ecosystem of modules and
accessories, but ... Essential promised that too.

As some have said, a Ryzen-based motherboard will be welcome -- especially
since nobody seems to like Intel integrated graphics for games -- but given
the current Windows 11 problems with AMD the delay can be excused.

I've added RAM and replaced batteries in "sealed" laptops and it wasn't too
hard. And the variety of dongles is such that any current laptop with a
PD-capable USB-C port is able to have external Ethernet and video no matter
what ports it ships with. This is the one I bought
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002191574263.html> for the Ryzen
laptop I bought earlier this year. I won't need to upgrade for a while. by
then Framework will either have a solid track record or be gone.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56