[GTALUG] Do people have opinions about the Framework modular laptop

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:43:03 EDT 2021

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 at 18:42, GS via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I've had my eye on it since the reviewers first got their hands on it. So far the reception has been overwhelmingly positive but finding opinions you can trust can be difficult. I tend to trust Cory, Leo and Linus.
>
> https://doctorow.medium.com/the-framework-is-the-most-exciting-laptop-ive-ever-used-5415da0a46e5
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKTFBpEET0o
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxbc1IN9Gg
>
> On 2021-10-15 17:59, Dave Collier-Brown via talk wrote:
>
> I see from Slashdot that it has an app store now:
>
> https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/21/10/14/2110258/modular-framework-laptop-gets-marketplace-for-all-those-modules
> https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/14/22725935/framework-laptop-modular-marketplace-launches-spare-parts-upgrades-expansions
>
> and I wonder if anyone has an opinion of it.

Cory is good Toronto content, and among his many achievements, I think
excessive honesty is one of them so yes, I'll trust his review.  On
the other hand, reading it is a bit more than a review of the
Framework, as he lays into Lenovo's ThinkPads and mentions that he
just had a hip replacement.  Wait, what?  I think of Cory as "young"
(we shared some social groups many years back), what's he doing
getting a hip replaced?  Okay, I'm getting slightly off track (but
then, so did he).

I'm enthusiastic about the Framework, and am a likely purchaser ...
but I have to admit I'm really, really hoping they come out with an
AMD motherboard for the thing before I need my next laptop.  That's
the only thing I thought was missing: I'm not happy with Intel.  Not
their market dominance, not their poor price-to-performance ratio, and
not their chip's security flaws.