[GTALUG] Enlarging /boot

William Witteman wwitteman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 20:26:54 EDT 2021

On Wed., Oct. 13, 2021, 18:08 Bob Jonkman via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

>  > As Lennart points out, /boot can't be an LVM,
>
> ... shows that booting from an LV
> without a separate /boot partition has been possible for a long time.

Oops.  I misread something.  Thanks!

But to address William's problem of an overfull /boot partition: I have
> sometimes rescued a system by just deleting the oldest kernel images to
> free up space in boot (or / ) with a rescue CD or USB stick, allowing
> the system to boot again to fix up the slightly broken repository
> (usually by re-installing the most recent kernel update that overflowed
> /boot in the first place).

Yeah, the problem was the comically, "full of clowns" tiny space that
didn't allow two kernels (234 Mb), so I could either keep the known-good
kernel, or the new one, but not both :-P

I far prefer the way it's set up now, with / and /home, and I probably
won't have to worry about this system until I replace it.

Thanks!