[GTALUG] Enlarging /boot

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Oct 13 18:07:58 EDT 2021

 > As Lennart points out, /boot can't be an LVM,

Hm. I have plenty of computers where the disks have one RAID partition,
and the RAID volume has only LVM on it, with either a separate LV=boot
or just booting from LV=/  This has worked since at least GRUB2 came out.

I also have a single-disk (no RAID) computer where one of the partitions
is LVM booting straight from the LVM with LILO. Another partition is
WinXP. Yes, this is an old system, but shows that booting from an LV
without a separate /boot partition has been possible for a long time.

The only time I've found it necessary to have a separate /boot partition
is when the rest of the drive is encrypted. There needs to be some
unencrypted software to decrypt the drive, available in initramfs in the
unencrypted /boot partition.

But to address William's problem of an overfull /boot partition: I have
sometimes rescued a system by just deleting the oldest kernel images to
free up space in boot (or / ) with a rescue CD or USB stick, allowing
the system to boot again to fix up the slightly broken repository
(usually by re-installing the most recent kernel update that overflowed
/boot in the first place).

--Bob.