[GTALUG] Looking for assistance with Firefox

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 07:24:03 EDT 2021

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 8:12 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> All my knowledge of FF is superstition, not science.  The
> specifications, the manual, and the code base are too large to
> understand.
>
> If I type ^Q in FF, I am currently told that I have 53 windows with
> 386 tabs.  Then I tell it not to quit.  This shows bad discipline on
> my part.

'bad disciple' regarding what - - - - not following through with the quit
or ????

> Go to URL "about:performance" for some hints about what different tabs
> cost.  I'm not sure that it is accurate.
>
> Superstition: when things get bad, quit and restart.
> Model: garbage collection of something is imperfect.
>
> Superstition: some pages are way more expensive than others -- a
> simple page-count isn't a great measure

I've found that parking a page on a 'new tab' helps longevity (smile).

> Superstition: javascript eats my CPU.  Sometimes it makes my coputer's
> fans sping up.  Sometimes FF tels me FF is taking a lot of CPU..
> Often it is on Globe and Mail pages.
>
> | From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | > Are there hard limits that force Firefox to not renew pages as they
> were
> | > (so more than xx number of pages)?
>
> What do you mean by "renew pages"?  Is that "reload"? ^R

I'm not sure what the 'correct' term is!!!
You've restarted your system.
You ask for FF to be started.
Typically I have been asked if I wish to 'restore' to the previous.
(Firefox is set to restore previous session.)

> | > Are there hard limits that force Firefox to not renew 'a' page (I've
> had
> | > this happen where one page doesn't renew but all the rest do)?
>
> I'd take it as a sign to close tabs you don't need any longer, quit
> FF, and then restart it.

FF has already been shut down and then asked to restore.
My question is - - -  at what point in the use of resources does FF decide
'not' honor the requested 'restore previous session'.
That not restore can be selective - - - if one page has a plethora of tabs
- -
such a page may 'not' be restored even if all the other pages are.
This last iteration for me - - - - well all the pages and all the tabs were
not
restored. That was the prompt for asking about what the are.

> | > If there are no 'hard' limits (programmed in per se) are there amounts
> of
> | > pages or tabs or perhaps tabs/page or something else from this stew
> that
> | > greater than xx tabs or yy pages or even a small number of pages having
> | > more than xy tabs where such activity results in firefox not
> restarting as
> | > it is listed to do so (restart the pages and tabs present upon
> shutdown) is
> | > considered 'usual'?
> | > I am trying to find parameters where I'm not faced with what I have
> right
> | > now.
>
> I think that it just runs out of RAM or processor cycles.

Hmmmmm - - - - so how many TB of ram does it take so this condition doesn't
happen?

snip

Thanks for the response

Regards