[GTALUG] Free Weller soldering tips

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:25:36 EDT 2021

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 15:13, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> While cleaning up, I found soldering tips for Weller soldering iron.

Those tips appear to be for the old TCP series Weller irons. If they
have a number, such as 6, 7 or 8 stamped on the back end, then they
are. Temperature is controlled by the tips themselves. The slug at the
back changes from magnetic to non-magnetic when it reaches its curie
temperature. This controls a magnetically activated switch in the
iron's shaft to maintain the temperature. The number on the tip
indicates its nominal operating temperature 6=600 degrees Fahrenheit ,
7=700 F, 8=800F, etc.

These tips won't work in (newer) Weller irons that aren't designed to
work this way.

I have several TCP type Weller irons. I take them if nobody else wants them.

--
Scott