[GTALUG] a solved problem unsolved itself: WordPress, MySQL, UTF-8

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 29 13:54:52 EST 2021

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 2021-11-27 18:04, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| >
| > Do you have shell access?  I think you imply "yes".
|
| Yes, I do, but not to the database server. All I have for that is socket
| access and PHPMyAdmin (blecch).

Ahh.  Kind of "no".

| > Does "fix it" mean "changed the raw data" or mangle the data somewhere
| > downstream of the disk files?
|
| "fix it" meant "broke it".

I quoted "fix it" because I understood that.

| The MySQL DB tables seem to have been quietly
| reprocessed from one encoding to another.

That seems (1) odd and (2) rude.

Is there a chance that the problem is actually in presenting the data
(due to some incorrect setting of a locale somewhere)?

Can you ask you supplier just what happened, why, and if they can
reverse it for you?

There is a chance that the transformation was bijective (or at least
injective) and thus reversible.