[GTALUG] Command doesn't work in script but works on command line?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Nov 7 18:53:15 EST 2021

| From: Jim Ruxton via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

What Desktop Environment are you using?  Gnome?  KDE?  Something else?

When you say "run from the command line", is that command line inside
an xterm window?  (That's what I assumed.)  Or is it before you start a Desktop Environment.

| > Could it be a permissions issue? What perms do you have when running it from
| > the command line vs. running from a shell script by clicking the file/icon?
|
| Thanks for the suggestion but no it's actually the same file with the same
| permissions. As I posted earlier when running the script by clicking it I get
| the error message:
|
| Capture open error: Device or resource busy
|
| Perhaps this is the clue. As to why it happens only when executing the file by
| clicking it I am not sure. Perhaps I should ask in a Linux sound or music
| forum. Maybe its something specific to alsa?

That's a half-useful useful message.  It doesn't say what resource is
being used.

There might be some hints in
Pretty old and not squarely on topic.

If I were tracking it down, I'd use the "strace" command.  A bit
arcane and a bit laborious.  It runs a command, listing all system
calls and their results.

Strace flags you might find useful.

	-o logfile # where to put the log
	-f # trace child processes too

Some system call will probably return EAGAIN or EBUSY or some other
code listed in errno(3).  You can compare this to a log of a working
run of the script to see what is different.