[GTALUG] Command doesn't work in script but works on command line?

mwilson at Vex.Net mwilson at Vex.Net
Sat Nov 6 10:53:44 EDT 2021

>From this, and what Hugh said about separate context:
I have a script file called path-here. The text is

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=$PATH:$(realpath .)

When I run it as a command, it apparently modifies the environment of a
sub-shell, and that environment gets thrown away when the sub-shell exits.
 To get the effect I want, I type

. path-here

which, I think, runs in the same bash instance that I'm typing commands
into, so the change to PATH is effective.

So would typing

. simple-script

(whatever the name of the simple script really is) get you what you want?