[GTALUG] e-reader recommendations

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Thu May 20 13:08:05 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-20 8:28 a.m., Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> Hmm, I just saw an add for the new kobo elipsa and was surprised that
> it actually covers more of what you seemed to want that I would have
> expected.
>
> 10.3" e-ink screen
> stylus to write your own notes and scribbles
> web browser
> support for pdf, mobi, epub files

I have an old Sony PRS-T1 that has a 7" screen. It has the stylus for
writing notes and scribbling. It is supposed to be able to play music but
I've never tried using it for that. It has a web browser which doesn't work
on a lot of sites as its certificates are out-of-date.

As to file formats I mostly use it to read PDF versions of technical books.
I have it trim the pages of some of the white space around the edges of the
page to maximize the available screen real estate.

Support for file formats with eReaders is not a problem. I use Calibre to
load books in to my eReader. Calibre is a good program for managing your
library of books. It can handle many (if not all) common file formats used
with eReaders and can convert between them if you have a file in a format
not supported by your eReader.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick