[GTALUG] e-reader recommendations

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu May 20 12:33:54 EDT 2021

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Hmm, I just saw an add for the new kobo elipsa and was surprised that
| it actually covers more of what you seemed to want that I would have
| expected.
|
| 10.3" e-ink screen
| stylus to write your own notes and scribbles
| web browser
| support for pdf, mobi, epub files

"mobi" is almost hidden.  That's not likely useful unless it supports
Amazon's DRM, and I doubt Amazon would allow that.

| I guess the only thing missing is the screen mirroring.  At least I
| don't see that mentioned as an option.
|
| I think they list the price at $499 canadian.

Very interesting.  The reMakrable 2's even higher price has softened
me up for this price.  It seems very high, but if it really
streamlines things for you, it would be worth it.  As usual, how would
one know without actually using one?  Perhaps Dave Mason could tell us
about his experience.

"Available June 24th".  Pre-order here:
<https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-elipsa>

I cannot tell how much this overlaps with the reMarkable 2 this https://remarkable.com/
It seems less expensive.

Specifications are near the bottom of each web page.  Do press "See
more technical specs" on the Elipsa page.

- screen resolutions and sizes are the same.

- Elipsa appears to have a bit more storage and processor power but
  that may not pan out.

The reMarkable 2's software has had some time to mature and develop.
It might be significantly more useful.