[GTALUG] "DNS Wars"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun May 9 12:15:09 EDT 2021

| From: ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| And, there are additional dimensions to some of the issues raised in
| the above post.

I'm sure.  It is both condensed and long-ish (at least for my
web-tuned attention span).

The blog entry contains an embedded YouTube video of a talk by Vixie
that I'm only part way through.

| Political changes to BIND, is one of the reasons I left
| almost a decade ago. The general support for enabling walled gardens
| and "custom" responses in open source communities by actually adding
| code to a project, is, imnsho, simply wrong.

I understand the vague idea but I'm not sure of the specific.  And
don't know about choices that have subtle consequences.  I certainly
don't know what issues are particularly concerning to you.

| There are many other DNS issues not raised in this post, one obvious
| example is that the overwhelming and vast majority of normal users
| simply "searches" on GOOGLE for https://example.com - and
| depending on "GOOGLE policy of that day" (as this changes) - users are
| either directly redirtected to https://example.com - or users are shown
| "search" results...(as, of course the user is "searching" because the
| software vendors, a lot of the time the search engine itself, has
| designed their software in this fashion as they want to control and own
| every bit traveling on the wire.
|
| The "new" path Firefox is on, is so wrong.

Actually that is mentioned.  In Episode 2 and 3.

| I can write a LOT more about this, but it is upsetting and emotional
| for myself.

I'm curious but powerless (as far as I know).  I once attended an IETF
meeting about DNSSec but that was long ago.  Earlier our project had
a fight about standardizing key distribution throught the reverse
domain.