[GTALUG] "DNS Wars"

ac ac at main.me
Sun May 9 01:51:03 EDT 2021

On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:44:26 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> This blog post is more than a year old, but well worth the read.
> It may require too much background, but it shows how crucial DNS is
> to the internet and how it is evolving in scary ways.  It opened my
> eyes.
> <https://blog.apnic.net/2019/11/04/dns-wars/>

And, there are additional dimensions to some of the issues raised in
the above post. Political changes to BIND, is one of the reasons I left
almost a decade ago. The general support for enabling walled gardens
and "custom" responses in open source communities by actually adding
code to a project, is, imnsho, simply wrong.

There are many other DNS issues not raised in this post, one obvious
example is that the overwhelming and vast majority of normal users
simply "searches" on GOOGLE for https://example.com - and
depending on "GOOGLE policy of that day" (as this changes) - users are
either directly redirtected to https://example.com - or users are shown
"search" results...(as, of course the user is "searching" because the
software vendors, a lot of the time the search engine itself, has
designed their software in this fashion as they want to control and own
every bit traveling on the wire.

The "new" path Firefox is on, is so wrong.

I can write a LOT more about this, but it is upsetting and emotional
for myself.

it is like driving past a traffic accident, there are bodies in the
road. I know I must not look, I know I must not look, I know I should
not look, o sh*t. I looked.