[GTALUG] Has the graphics-card world gone mad?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 07:49:57 EDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:33 AM Evan Leibovitch via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Yeah, but it won't be about video cards (thankfully).
>
> (FWIW, the issues I am having driving two 4K monitors with an RX 550 exist in both Windows and Linux, suggesting that it's not capable of driving both monitors at full spec. Either I need to dial down the frequency as Russell suggests, or I need a new horsepower card...)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm - - - the card isn't current so finding specs isn't
straightforward - - - but - - - -
https://www.cnet.com/products/xfx-radeon-rx-550-graphics-card-radeon-rx-550-4-gb/
gives a possible reason for the problem - - - - (one sales agency
lists a 'Resolution and refresh rate' and for an RX6900XT said space
is 7680x4320 or an 8k space) the gpu just isn't rated for a 7680x2180
space.

Here I have a 7680x3000 space - - - but - - - - I'm running 2 gpus - -
- that has its own 'problems'!

If I had to rebuild my system (not retaining any monitors) I would
likely go to 3 - 4k monitors and maybe 3 moderate gpus or if finances
were available - - - seldom are - - - 3 mid-upper end - - - - just
checked and even an nvidiia 3090 (brand I will no longer consider)
where there are 5 ports yet only 4 monitors are supported and a space
of 7680x4320 at 60Hz - - - so a multi-gpu system is what I would need - -
- and it works.

Regards