[GTALUG] Partitioning Question

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:51:35 EDT 2021

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 12:04 PM William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 3/28/21 7:30 AM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
>
> For any future issues you might want to take a look at gparted. You can
> resize and reformat disk volumes with comparative ease. I've used it many
> times without losing data and without having to resort to my backups.
>

> Gparted gives me problems when formatting USB drives that need to boot.
> If you partition a USB drive with "fdisk" and with "gparted" and compare
> the MBR, you will see gparted puts lots of data into MBR whereas fdisk
> modifies just the partition table.

I don't think I've ever actually partitioned a usb drive. I've only used dd
to create a boot usb via a ready made distribution iso.

I have used gparted to revert GPT to MBR when I was dealing with UEFI
issues, but that was more about me crawling up the learning curve than
anything else.

I believe most, at least the most mainstream linux distros, are installed
using GPT as it can handle drives larger than 2tb.

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Russell